Summers are not merely the summers for all. It is the favourite time kids look forward to whole year round! The daydreams they have regarding their summer vacations, the new trip they will have and the memories they will make. For a new married couple, the pleasure of being together the coming summer trip rules every other thing. For grandparents, it’s that time when their grandkids will come to meet them. Summer vacations undoubtedly meet with the expectations of all!
Summer vacations also invite for summer holidays in India. With dozens of summer holiday destinations in India, one could never fall short of the places! From hill stations to the picturesque locations- everything is tempting! We thought of making your summer all the more special this time with our well researched and compiled list of summer holiday destinations in India. Honeymoon couple, family vacation, romantic trip? We got you all covered!
Places To Visit In India In Summer
Ladakh – For The Adventurer In You!
Pangong Tso Lake (Source)
Nubra Valley (Source)
Zanskar Valley (Source)
You call it a little Tibet or Ladakh; this is the India’s answer to all the countries out there! There is perhaps no substitute for this. A motorcycle trip can add stars to the trip! It is one of the most sought after and highly preferred places to visit in India during summer. The snow-capped peaks, breath-taking views, mesmerising lakes, lofty mountains and the Buddhism population – everything is kept at place with great precision by the almighty. And yes not to forget, get set to experience the peace here. A woman solo traveller? Don’t worry, Ladakh would take care of your safety! This is the place you will be able to discover yourself – your writing skills, photography skills, bike riding skills would be at the best here.
Things not to miss in Ladakh:
- Mountain passes. Most tough ones include Baralacha La and Taglang La
- Leh, the former capital of the Himalayan kingdom of Ladakh, has ample places to keep you captivated. the city is known for its array of heritage villages along with the ruins of royal forts and palaces. Other places of interest within the territory include Leh Palace & Fort, Shanti Stupa, and monastic villages.
- Pangong Tso, the perfect example of the amalgamation of the nature’s beauty and peace. The lake would surely blow your worries away. It is worth the visit! Don’t forget to take your cameras with you here as you’ll be surprised to click some of the most stunning pictures here.
- Tso Moriri, this is yet another perfect piece from nature. The picturesque landscapes, natural scenes and roads would land you to another heaven. Black necked cranes, brown headed gulls, geese, snow leopards, wolfs can be easily spotted here. Try and go for jeep safaris to catch the maximum out of these.
- Tso Kar, is close to Tso Moriri and lies on the way from Leh to Manali. Various birds visit this wetland and place is thus a paradise for bird lovers. Yaks are also commonly found and you can even entice yourself by having a yak ride. Do carry a pair of binoculars to spot those exotic species!
- Nubra Valley, also called as the valley of flowers is perhaps the second most popular destination among Ladakh travellers. Spot the holy lake, Yarab Tso near the Sumur Village. Witness the monasteries like Diskit Monastery that lies near the Shyok River. Must give a try to the local cuisines there!
- Zanskar Valley, is the appreciably populated valley of the region and is put perfectly amid snow clad mountain peaks and alpine lakes. It is an ideal trekking location one could look forward to in Ladakh. One must explore the Panzila Pass. Flora and fauna is worth a view here. You can also indulge yourself in trekking and river rafting. Pack with you a pair of woollen cloths too as temperature may face a sudden dip during summers too.
- Khardungla Pass, you might be awestruck after knowing that this is the highest civilian motor road in the world! The road is taken care by the Border Roads Organization and is considered by many as the tourist spot in itself. However, take extreme care of your health on such high altitude.
Sikkim – For The Peaceful Explorer In You!
Sikkim is undoubtedly one of the most unexplored and mystical places of North East India that is often ignored by travellers. It is this isolation that makes it worth the visit. You won’t find that typical chaos and crowd there. Everything is in its place and well organized. The place shares the location with Teesta River and majestic Himalayas. Sikkim has covered it all – from Buddhist monasteries to waterfalls, caves and lakes. This is the reason that Sikkim is an ideal honeymoon location in India. It also makes an equally good adventure and family trip location.
- Gurudongmar Lake is perhaps what your eyes need! The relaxing sheer beauty of the lake would take you to an altogether different place. It is the second highest lake in India. The lake is under the strict governance of Indian army and thus requires special permission. The lake can be reached easily from the nearest railway station in Siligudi.
- If you are a trekking fan, you must go for Yuksom trek. The other treks you can try include Goche La Pass, Zongri Pass. You need to have 7 to 8 days for Goche La Trek and around 6 days for Zongri Trek. The scenic beauty and the mesmerising views will keep you captivated throughout the trek
- You just can’t ignore the Chhangu Lake. Being elliptical in shape, the lake spreads around 1km and it is 15m in depth. The lake is considered as sacred by the people of Sikkim and forms an ideal excursion place.
Rishikesh – For The Yoga Guru in You!
Rishikesh deserves no better introduction than being called as the gateway of yoga! With a large number of yoga gurus and meditation centres in the city, Rishikesh has rightly emerged as the yoga and meditation hub of India. The holy water of river Ganges and the peaceful surrounding all around would definitely take you to another world of serenity and divinity,
Things not to miss in Rishikesh
- Indulge yourself in some not too mainstream activities like bungee jumping, rafting, mountain hiking, rappelling and others.
- Rishikesh is also a great site for camping. Choose a proper camp site and enjoy the experience!
- Do not return back without having a dip into the river Ganges.
- Explore the surroundings and admire the beauty. Click some stunning poses.
- Have fun on Lakshkam Jhula which shakes when people walk over it.
- Have food at Chotiwala, the famous restaurant there.
Khajjiar – For the Switzerland Lovers!
If DDLJ has always fascinated you and the Switzerland is perhaps the only location you can think of for your honeymoon, you need to think twice. India has got its own Switzerland and that could be the solution to many of your dreams and that too probably at a low budget. Khajjiar is well placed on a small plateau at a distance of 520 km from Delhi and 23 km from Dalhousie. The hill station is well covered with dense forests and green meadows.
Things not to miss in Khajjiar
- Walk around the lake and discover yourself in harmony
- Admire the greenery around and the thick pine forests
- Indulge yourself in horse riding and enjoy the leisure
- Khajjiar Lake is another attraction you can have some priceless moments nearby.
- A famous Khajji Nag temple from the 12th century A.D has its own history. The temple consists of the idols of the Pandavas brothers.
- If trekking is your cup of tea, Khajjiar probably is the most beautiful place to initiate it!